You may have already figured out your child’s personality, but do you know what you are? Of course there are the assessments that can help you figure that out more accurately. But we are taking just a quick light-hearted look at the personalities. I know, quick and light hearted aren’t adjectives that typically appeal to this personality. Proper Melancholics would much rather do an in-depth and accurate analysis to figure themselves out. That is a little deeper than we are going here, so we will give a light-hearted glimpse into the Proper Melancholic and encourage them to find further information that can give a complete picture.
You might be a Proper Melancholic if:
- Your planner is probably your best friend.
- Your mind thinks quickly in the form of percents and measures.
- Remembering what has happened in the past takes no effort, especially if it involves keeping track of things that were wrong.
- You find that you are often in charge of doing the tasks that are tedious and involved.
- You are generally trusted to see tasks through because you do them thoroughly and accurately.
- You see no reason to share your embarrassing moments and find it ridiculous that others do.
- You find yourself organizing and reorganizing even when those around you find it crazy.
- You think this world could be a better place if there were more people like you that cared about getting things done well.
- You aren’t sure why they created erasers, since you prefer to just start over with a clean paper.
- You find it especially annoying that people can’t just live by the rules…it’s not that hard.
- You easily find spelling, grammatical, and word usage errors all around you.
- You find systems of organization for things like when to change your toothbrush or how to change your seasonal clothing.
- You find yourself to be one of the most loyal people you know.
- You do not believe the more the merrier, as too many people are just difficult and frustrating.
If you got through that list and thought it might be you, then you probably found some errors and inaccuracies along the way. You may see a few of those that really describe you, but remember it doesn’t mean that all of them are true. If you look at the other lists, from past days, you would see which of these lists is most like you.
As is typical, it is kind of our default mode for us to believe that what we are is normal, common, or even the most desirable. But it is helpful to remember that there is no personality that is better than another. Each personality contribute something different and unique. More on that in the next blog post!
You know your child’s personality. And now you are getting a little curious about what you might be! This is a fun, light-hearted look at the choleric personality. Now give this a chance. If you are indeed a Powerful Choleric, you think things like this are dumb. But that will be the first thing that indicates what you might be. Read on and see if any of these things remind you of yourself. You don’t have to tell us how many, either.
You might be a Powerful Choleric parent if:
- You think your way is always the right way.
- You think everyone should work hard and limit play.
- You dress to accomplish things…shoes, socks, whatever the situation needs to be successful.
- You see no reason to sit and play games, since it is simply a waste of time.
- You are the queen/king of multi-tasking.
- You move fast and with purpose, and sometimes spill, only because you are on the go!
- You would prefer that people bullet point things they write, as it is much quicker and faster to read.
- You tell people what to do easily and find that others around you need to be told what to do.
- You can do circles around the people around you, accomplishing more than they could ever dream of.
- You are involved in numerous things and wish others would be able to handle a load like you.
- The military way makes good sense to you.
- You’d rather do a job by yourself than have other people making your job harder.
- You don’t feel it is necessary to use “please” when you order. It is acceptable just to tell them what you will have.
- You find that you are often surrounded by people that don’t act very smart.
- You don’t like other people telling you what to do, especially if you know more than they do!
You survived the list, and if you are Choleric, you probably thought it could have been a little shorter and too the point. If that wasn’t your personality, feel free to read the past two days posts or stay tuned for tomorrows post! One of the four posts is surely going to sound familiar!
With all this talk about personalities, it can leave you wondering… “What am I?” Well, that might be easy to figure out, and then again, it might be like trying to solve a mystery. There are four basic personality types. People are usually a combination of two personalities, but there are also times when people present as one strong personality type instead. The four personalities are the Playful Sanguine, Powerful Choleric, Proper Melancholic, and the Peaceful Phlegmatic. A personality assessment might help you discover what personality you are. But until then, have a little fun with this. If you read this list and think… “Oh my gosh, that sounds just like me! In fact, I even…” You are probably a Playful Sanguine. If you read this list and feel utterly annoyed at the senseless and seemingly “lazy” ways, you are most likely the opposite of a Phlegmatic, a Powerful Choleric. If you feel the need to organize this pathetic soul, you just might be the Proper Melancholic. And if you calmly admit, “yep, that’s me…” You are most likely the Peaceful Phlegmatic. Kick back, enjoy, and laugh just a little…unless of course you are not phlegmatic. Then just hold tight and check back periodically to see if your personality gets a lighthearted list on your approach to life!
You just might be a Peaceful Phlegmatic if:
- You flick that little piece of trash behind the couch, because the walk to the trash can feels too far away.
- You slip your shoes on without untying them to avoid bending over.
- You motivate yourself to get chores done by promising yourself a nap or couch time after each task.
- You fix your hair today to last two days.
- You only add condiments to your food if they are already on the counter and ready to be applied.
- Wearing your pajamas all day is just another way to decrease your laundry load.
- You’ve debated putting your kids to bed in the next day’s outfit to feel one step ahead of the game (and lessen your laundry road as well)!
- You sleep in your make-up and wake up wearing yesterday’s face. 🙂
- You see no problem eating on paper plates to avoid the extra load of dishes.
- Your dresser drawers will barely open because you have them crammed full of unfolded items.
- Your kids ask you where you are going because you get up and get dressed!
- You orchestrate what needs to happen from your comfy recliner.
- You seem to lose track of things, however your remote is usually not far away.
- You have an overwhelming to-do list, so you decide to go take a nap.
- You make a to-do list but pad it with items you already completed so you can feel better about it.
- You don’t find it too difficult to play on the floor with the kids, after all, it gives you a break from the work that awaits.
No, you don’t have to do all these things to be a Peaceful Phlegmatic! This is just a fun look at the personality differences. What you find, is that certain personalities have no problem admitting to things that other personalities would cringe at! This is just meant to make you think. What do you do and why do you do it?! It might be worth considering!